Sunday, October 12, 2008

Today I felt what it feels like to let oneself go completely. I was sitting with one of the people I most admire and respect, when he told me to write 5 random sentences. I tried my hand at it and produced 5 sickly stereotypical pieces of shit. Then he wrote 5 random sentences, which seemed to speaking to me right out of the page. Then he told me to let myself go. He touched my "deeper self" as he calls it. I just felt strange. Happy, but strangely so. Then again I took the pen and just let it write down whatever I thought. Turns out, those 8 or 9 sentences I wrote (spontaneously, no thinking or anything) , were actually good sentences, which was my "deeper self" speaking. They were more fun to read anyhow. 

The cenversation(writing included) went this way -

He : Write 5 random sentences.

Me: "The white teacup on the brown table, sidelit by the diffused light coming through the  window, is a perfect subject for a black and white photo."

He: "A white teacup. A brown wood table. Diffused light. I wish I could take a black and white  photo of this."

...
...

Finally, my first "let go" line.

There's a bright light coming from outside the window, and its making my pen cast a shadow as I'm writing. 

He says :" Wah, that's a great sentence. A slightly sophisticated reader will understand its full 
          worth. It is your inner self speaking. The words "bright light" , "outside" , "window" , 
  "write" and "pen" are much deeper than you think you intended them to be. Your 
  inner self is signalling through these."
He says : Go , let go completely.

Then came my "let go" outburst paragraph.
He started it off by writing : "Let go of yourself, he says."

Then I went :

" I wonder how he does it. I don't even know what I just did. I had written a sentence, because there was nothing better to write. Thats now become my deeper self talking! Weird. I have deeper selves. What does this mean now ? Let go. How ? I knew there were voices inside me, but why should they only talk when I let go? Why do I have to strive to get them out ?"

He stopped me here. He told me to look at what I had written. He praised me. I felt proud of my writing. I understood what it means to let go. For those few seconds when I wrote those lines, I forgot my surroundings, and everything. I just wrote non-stop, not even thinking. Thats what he calls being in touch with yourself. I'm supposed to do more of this. It feels good, so I'll do it. I believe I just did. I didn't type this post out thinking each sentence through like my last post. This one came naturally. 


No comments: