Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Keep yourself alive.

Dying is easy. I’m clever enough to successfully carry out several different and silent methods that take no time to prepare. I was thinking of some kind of a list of things that stopped me from dying. The list was pretty much blank. It’s a barren kind of powerful feeling, not having anything tying you to life.

Maybe I’m just fucked in the head, or maybe it’s just the way I am, but others’ love for me didn’t make the list. Not Mom’s, not Dad’s, not my friends, not Neesha’s, not Tania’s, not Sanjit’s. I could just die when I wanted to. With a lot of pushing, I can be made to believe that I’m special, but that’s artificial. I’m never gonna be Mozart or Picasso or Joyce or Ramanujan. Hell, I’d never even make it a millionth of the way there!

The reassuring fear that’s supposed to kick in, as I’ve heard, when one starts thinking about death too does not come to me. Everything I do, or ever did, seems so colossally pointless and uninteresting that it wouldn’t matter if they stopped. It wouldn’t matter to me at least. People would miss me, mourn me, but that’s childish and again, mostly artificial. Maybe a lot of good I could have done a lot of people would not exist anymore, but I’m actually too selfish to be affected by that. Life is boring, pointless and routine, and I’ve just been trying to fool myself into believing that it isn’t. I won’t anymore.

People have tried to make me see sense about this issue by telling me to look at the lives of the truly wretched people. Never worked. Their lives can be as wretched as they are, that doesn’t make me like mine any more. Truth be told, I’ve no idea why I dislike my life, and its not as much my life as living. So if I was to ask myself what I’d like to change so that I’d like to live, I wouldn’t have the answer.

Fact is, I’m tired of living. It’s been long enough and tiring enough. Someday, soon, I’ll be fed up enough. I’ll be called an escapist, but I’d like to ask, what is it that I did and they’re “brave enough not to” escape? It’s not as simple as Pink Floyd is it? I don’t believe in afterlife or suicide notes. Others’ reactions to my death do not bother me. I once heard a story about a youth called Narcissus who died because he’d only look at his own beauty and love himself, and that’s the closest thing I can sort of call on to show my side of the fence. Maybe life just isn’t what I want it to be, or thought it would be, and I’d rather not continue. Once I die, my body, a nice collection of chemicals, will decay, and I’d have gone permanently from the Earth, and in time, from people’s minds. Things would return to normal. I cannot imagine a better situation, for me. There are a lot of things I’ve kept unsaid, but I’m sure I could do it in bulk, with A4 sized papers folded up in neat white envelopes, addressed in red and gold ink, to be opened when needed.

3 comments:

rorschach said...

"Life is boring, pointless and routine,..."

but isn't life fun? or rather can it not be fun given the right time and place? you do understand you surely haven't seen all of it. you aren't even financially independant yet. lived on your own yet. had strangers care for you and in turn care for other strangers; simply caus eyou're human.

might be worth your while waiting for such experiences to pass before you take a final call don't you think?

and pink floyd, namely Roger Waters is a big hypocrite. i think. you'll know when you know.

Rajo said...

Yes, today something happened right out of the blue that I could never have expected. Maybe its coincidental. I'm loved, and I love. So I'll live as long as it lasts, though I'm pretty sure it'll last forever.

I'm immersed in saucerful of secrets now. Can't imagine what it would feel like to be Syd.

Unknown said...

"I’m never gonna be Mozart or Picasso or Joyce or Ramanujan"

what if you are special?
would that make any difference?

may be cause some more electric impulses in the brains of the people who'd remember you and your work.

what if you are not special?

The electrical impulses in the brains will still happen,but that won't have you name, which carries no significance to you cause you cease to exist by then.

But life still remains as it was ,reproducing and adapting itself to the system of being.

did you ever realize that your life is just an extension of your parents' life which in turn is the extension of their parents' parents' life and so on.

so you are just another tiny part of a much elaborate but simple process of life.

so the only thing the matters in life is your children/child and rest remains utterly insignificant.

i hope you understand what i am trying to say here.

do watch this video --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g