Monday, November 2, 2009

A Hard Day's Night.

Last night I went to a concert in tribute to the Beatles held in Calcutta Cricket and Football Club grounds, performed by a British band who tour the world doing only Beatles tributes, look like (somewhat), dress like and act exactly (on stage) like the Beatles. I got sufficiently disinhibited before going, knowing there would be enough and more alcohol in venue itself.

Neesha, who loves the Beatles even more than me, had to get herself out of town exactly yesterday, and hence couldn't come along, but I met two very close friends (especially when we're disinhibited), my OBO instructors and lots of random known people, including an ex-school-captain who was emcee-ing the event.

I cannot write out, like this, my experience without turning it into a boring journal entry, so I'll simply quote some of the SMSs I sent as I walked back home, edited and translated to English (from SMS lingo).

"Hey, are you awake? I loved the concert, and missed you as much. It was a tumultuous experience. The sadness when you weren't there to listen to Nowhere Man, the distilled euphoria during Daytripper. Today I realized how much I loved you and the Beatles."

"The guys were really very good. They weren't the Beatles, but pretty damn close! They're called The Beetles, and the 4 guys are actually named after the originals (first names only). They copied the exact voice and (on-stage) behaviour patterns. Voice-wise, Paul was no match for McCartney, George was almost as good as Harrison, but John, I thought, was better than Lennon. Their guitar-ing was exact, Ringo's drumming just as soulful and perfect as the original, n Paul's bass was magical! We all went crazy jumping, singing, laughing, crying, climbing on each others shoulders and singing in the air, having dance offs, but never feeling tired or spent, throughout the 2 hours. I met Mirna, Shreya, Tara and Athena, and stepped on Tara's toes by mistake!"

"They didn't play Norwegian Wood, but they played Nowhere man, With Love from me To You, Daytripper, She Loves You, Hard Days Night, Help, Roll over Beethoven, The Ballad of John and Yoko, This Boy, Do You Wanna Know a Secret, Twist and Shout, Can't buy me love, I should have known Better, and more that I can't remember right now!"

No comments: